Things My Husband Won’t Let Me Do

by Jodifur on April 14, 2013

I went and got my nails done on Friday.  I picked this color.  I love it:

photo

My manicurist wasn’t so sure.  “It’s really blue…it’s really blue, but you are young.  Will your husband let you pick that color?”

“Um, what?  My husband doesn’t LET me do anything…the only thing my husband FORBIDS me to do is sleep with other men.  I don’t think he would like me to date other people either.  Kissing is probably out to.  Otherwise, everything is pretty much free range.  He certainly doesn’t have an opinion on my nails.”

My manicurist looked shocked that I said that.  But really, we live in a world where men forbid women from putting a color on their nails?  Doug would certainly be entitled to say to me “I don’t like that,” but LET ME?  I don’t think so.

It’s nail polish.  He also doesn’t veto my clothes or my hair.  He would probably wish I bought a little less shoes but truth be told the man never says a word to me.

Can we discuss this?  On second thought, I don’t want to.  I don’t serve my husband.  I actually don’t disagree with the notion that women can’t have it all and you should try to make your partners better but the rest of that makes me want to vomit.

I think I am going to pick the most obnoxious nail polish colors on the planet and see how long it takes Doug to say anything.

Shit, that’s a bad plan.  I keep forgetting he reads this blog.

Angela April 14, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Oh my. I hope her definition of ‘serve’ and mine are different. Cause…whatever. I’m not about to be subservient to anyone. And I’m pretty sure after 19 years together, 18 married, Tom’s just fine with that! Heck I went and got my hair chopped 11 inches without even telling Tom I was doing it. I’m not about to run my nail color by him!
Angela recently posted…Burning down the houseMy Profile

Mel April 14, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Is the implication that only elderly ladies choose blue nail polish? What is the age in which one can now wear blue nail polish without comment?

I actually haven’t read Reece’s statement yet because I worry that I will make holes in the walls of the house by banging my head.
Mel recently posted…Release Your BabiesMy Profile

The Tutugirl April 14, 2013 at 9:35 pm

I’m “not allowed” to wash the knives, mostly because the trips to the ER start adding up. That’s it. And if it were otherwise, he could go find someplace else to live.

D. April 14, 2013 at 10:22 pm

It’s such a shame that such a strong woman who should be a good role model for young girls would make that kind of pronouncement. It’s absolutely mind-boggling to me.

On an unrelated note, I love your nails. :)

Vicky April 15, 2013 at 6:34 am

Well, you know I love that color. I know that a lot of guys don’t like “strong, bold” colors like that one or yellows, greens, etc. Sounds like my mother- anything dark, foreboding or a break from the norm isn’t “pretty” to her.

Kyooty April 15, 2013 at 6:37 am

what what what?? I am seriously too unhindered to be a wife. The last 18yrs of doing what I want when I want must be fogging my brain?

like really? Where was this? In the USA? excuse me while I go call my mother and thank her for all the times she’s said ‘you can be anything you want to be, do anything you want to do and you don’t need to have a man’.

I’m so very very shocked.
Kyooty recently posted…Wordless Wednesday take 2My Profile

Mo April 16, 2013 at 2:03 pm

The last time I was (or wasn’t) “allowed” to do something I think was high school. I don’t understand the concept of allowing a spouse to do something. Spouses should be partners not parents. And if my marriage ever comes down to my husband dictating everything all the way down to the color of my nail polish I’m not sure he’d stay my husband for very long! (Yes! feel that strongly about my right to mani/pedi the way I want to!)
Mo recently posted…Why I Still Blog (or, Why Everything Old Is New Again)My Profile

elz April 16, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Oh thank goodness. I read the title of this post and was all…aw Hell no. I almost didn’t read it b/c I can’t deal with people whose spouses “let” them do things. BARF. My nails are currently a deep caribbean blue/green and me likey.