The Quilt

by Jodifur on February 10, 2013

On Saturday I hosted a bunch of DC area bloggers for a remembrance dinner in Susan’s honor.  It was part Irish wake, part Jewish Yahrzeit celebration.  There were no sponsors (other than my dad who supplied the wine.)  There was no one to tweet, or hashtag, or instagram.  It was just us, and we talked, and laughed, and ate.

We all shared some of our favorite memories of Susan and some made us laugh and some made us cry.  And it was Nicole who said that no matter where we go, no matter how long it is until we see each other again, we will always have this quilt that Susan left us, our love for each other and her.

Jessica talked about how Susan would have loved this so much, because there was nothing more than Susan loved than being with her friends, than being with all of us.  And Susan gave us all so much.  She gave, and she gave, and she gave, even up until the end.

Last week was an exceptionally bad week for me, there was a lot going on beyond Susan’s death weighing on me personally.  And there came a point in time where I thought the answer was to shut down the blog and get offline.  Everywhere.   Facebook, twitter, instagram.  Just go away. Because I couldn’t keep doing what I had been doing and I didn’t know what else to do.

And then, in that room, with those people, who had experienced the same things that I had in this past year, and the only thing we all had in common was one day opening up the computer and typing, I knew I could never do it.  This had become my community.  This had become where I was supposed to be.

There will never be another day that I don’t miss Susan, that I don’t understand why she was taken from us.  But I know what she gave us.  She gave us the ability to sit in a room and laugh and cry within the same two seconds and have no one judge you.  We wouldn’t be the same group of people without her, and the last thing she would want me to do is go away.

Michelle February 10, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Love to you, Jodi. Thank you for hosting and getting the ball rolling in our conversation of Susan. She is so missed and so loved, and I am certain she is pleased by our gathering.

LL February 10, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Beautiful. I’m certain she would much rather have been there in person (as would all who know and love her), but I did think while reading this that if I must be taken from the Earth far earlier than I plan, I hope that I would be thought of and remembered by my loved ones in a similar way. What a beautiful legacy she has left behind.

Elaine February 10, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Thanks for hosting. It was great to see people and spend some time just enjoying memories of Susan. Congrats getting through the week. It’s just awful that she’s no longer in this dimension, but the memories she left will never go away.

Vicky February 11, 2013 at 6:28 am

Thank you again Jodi for hosting – it was a truly wonderful and special night. I whole-heartedly agree that it was needed and gives me faith in this community that we have created. It is indeed special, unique and non-judging. I always come away from time with these women feel just exactly that way.

Stimey February 11, 2013 at 8:45 am

I was very happy to be in that room, listening to Susan’s friends talk. Susan brought us together a lot, both physically and in other ways. Thank you so much for hosting. It was a wonderful evening.

Thrift Store Mama February 11, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Jodi, it was so lovely.

It felt so right to be with other people who loved Susan. Just so right.

Many, many thanks to your Dad for supplying the wine. That was so very kind of him.

Hope February 13, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I’m sorry you had a rough week. :( But I’m really happy that the internet was able to give you what we need. Sometimes I think we all get wrapped up in silly aspects of online life that we forget why we’re all here in the first place. For me, it’s definitely about that connection.

Jessica McFadden - A Parent in Silver Spring February 20, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Thank you so much for hosting, and always being such a integral part of our blogging mom community. You hold us together — you cannot go anywhere! I love your writing and love YOU more.

Jessica McFadden - A Parent in Silver Spring February 20, 2013 at 6:05 pm