A Year’s Time: For Susan

by Jodifur on February 6, 2013

A year ago we said goodbye to our dear Susan.  I have spent so much of this year thinking of her.  Wondering why she left us.  Missing her.

I have no claim to Susan.  I am not her family, I am not Marty, or Jessica. I am just one of the many who loved her, one of the many she touched.

The universe has been sending me signs of Susan everywhere.  Last week Michael brought home a science project for school.  A science project that Susan would have loved.

photo

Yesterday, my shoe of the day was this:

photo

On Saturday night the DC Mom’s will gather, a rekindling of HomeHer, that glorious event where we held Susan close.  To laugh, to drink, to talk, to eat, and to remember our friend Susan.  Because we miss her, and we love her.  And because we remember.  I called it our own Yahrzeit when I suggested it, a way to remember her.  Even though Susan wasn’t Jewish, she felt a special connection to Judaism when she was alive, and I know that this is something she would have loved.

In Honor of Susan

As we honor Susan’s memory, please consider furthering her legacy through a contribution to the Inflammatory Breast Cancer Research Foundation.

Please join bloggers throughout the web in honoring Susan Niebur’s life and contributions with a post, and please add your link below.

Elena February 6, 2013 at 8:12 am

Those boots—she would have loved those! Sending love.

Pam February 6, 2013 at 8:17 am

A loving tribute – oh, what a year sees. I love the “Yartzheit” idea. Thoughts for all of you – she always seemed like such a wonderful person and you are all wonderful reflections of her.

Jessica @FoundtheMarbles February 6, 2013 at 9:04 am

What a beautiful tribute. Thinking of you.

Stimey February 6, 2013 at 9:12 am

This is beautiful. I’m so glad that you are bringing us together for her. And, you know what? Sam is also watching the moon this week for school. It instantly made me think of her. Love you, Jodi.

aimee @ smilingmama February 6, 2013 at 9:17 am

Can’t wait to see and give big hugs to so many great lades on Saturday as we remember Susan. Thanks for gathering us all together!

cagey (Kelli Oliver George) February 6, 2013 at 9:59 am

We did the moon project in the fall and yes, I thought of her then, too.

Be kind to yourself, Jodi. Today will probably be a bit hard.

Corey Feldman February 6, 2013 at 10:27 am

I didn’t know her that well but she touched me enough to write a story dedicated to her that I wrote thinking of her for my Egret V1 book. She was an amazing lady.

{sue} February 6, 2013 at 11:45 am

Beautiful. Thank you for gathering us. I love the word Yartzheit.

Jessica McFadden February 6, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Your friendship was deep and loving and she was your dear friend. You are such an instrumental part of Susan’s blogging community of love, and thank you for keeping us together during the hard days!

Jonathan February 6, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I’m wondering where her family came from. My mother grew up in rural Oxforshire, England, and told a story of a german airman shot down in the second world war called Niebur. He eventually married one of the girls in the village, and stayed for the rest of his life.

One day, while driving through a nearby village sixty years later, I saw a tradesman’s van parked up outside a small house – with the name “Niebur” sign written on it. I have never seen the name anywhere else…

Dresden (@DresdenPlaid) February 6, 2013 at 6:05 pm

I read your post this morning and was so touched by it.

I only knew Susan for such a small amount of time – but, like many people, I vividly remember the conversations that I did have with her. (there was a really great chat we once had about plaid)

I love that you saw all of the ways that Susan has continued to wink at you.

Andrea February 6, 2013 at 8:29 pm

How beautiful. Sending love.

Amanda February 6, 2013 at 8:33 pm

It’s amazing how often I find her…lovely legacy of strength.

Thrift Store Mama February 7, 2013 at 8:16 am