The More Things Change

by Jodifur on January 7, 2013

Maybe one day I’ll start a year not dieting and vowing to exercise more.  Not giving up alcohol and bread and going on a juice fast.  But it is not this year.  It probably won’t be next year either.

But this year I’m doing things a little different.  I’m joining Jennie’s Blogging Biggest Loser.  And while I recognize RIGHT NOW there is absolutely no way I’m going to win because they are all going hard core Paleo with things like Whole 90 and I have no idea what the other things are called, I’m doing a hodge podge like giving up alcohol and sugar and wheat and exercising more.  I did it last year and lost a good amount of weight.  And then the holidays happened and I ate ALL THE THINGS.

I have struggled with my weight literally all my life.  I don’t really remember a time where I ever felt at peace with how I looked.  (Maybe at my wedding weight which was the thinnest I ever was but I probably thought I was fat then too.)  But I want this to be the year I care less about the number on the scale (which is odd since I’m entering a weight loss competition) and more about how I feel.  Last year when I was doing my detox diet and I felt amazing.  My skin cleared up.  I had a ton of energy.  I didn’t care how I looked because If I looked how I felt, it didn’t matter.

I also could have given my left arm for a glass of wine.

And here we are again, new year, new diet, no alcohol.  I’m also going to do a juice fast, myself  Which means going to the store, buying the produce, not eating, and juicing.  It may be the stupidest thing I’ve ever done.  I’ll let you know.

vicky January 7, 2013 at 9:02 am

I felt this way too but it changed last year when I started weight training. I no longer cared what the scale said because I felt so fantastic! I just want that to continue so it is now a must do a few times a week. It destresses me like nothing else too. Keep it up! You know what my mantra is…

susan January 7, 2013 at 9:02 am

I find that the less I care about the number on the scale, and more about the numbers on my log (like how long I spend hiking, or what my HRM says after a nice sweat session), I feel good. I do care what the scale says, or I also wouldn’t have entered a weight-based challenge, but I think that’s kind of secondary to me. Obviously winning would be nice, but I’m looking to making full on habit and lifestyle changes, not to juice my way down the scale only to blow up a week later (with zero offense to those doing that!)… I wish you luck doing that, I can’t see the benefit of that in any long term fashion.

jenn January 7, 2013 at 10:46 am

Oh that damned scale…quickest means to quantify results but the other ones – that feeling better and being healthier – are so much more the point! Here’s to a tasty, workable and healthy change in diet. Be well!!

Kristabella January 7, 2013 at 11:33 am

Well cutting out those things is basically like the Whole 30, so you could win! Don’t doubt yourself!

Also, this is going to be the longest 30 days of my life, with no booze. Which probably means I have a problem.

marathonmom January 7, 2013 at 2:23 pm

I broke my ankle last october. That is a 3 m healing period before you can even bear weight on it. I was lucky enough to start walking on it 1 week before xmas but there have still been days that it was pretty (*&*(^ painful. And there could be more, or not.

So yeah, I can’t run at all either. Not sure I want to – maybe I need to start over and get rid of the ruts and old running habits I was in? Or maybe just try something else?

It’s perfectly OK……whatever you do. (But please be careful because if you do get hurt I will feel very very bad :( )

Jenna January 7, 2013 at 9:38 pm

My alcohol consumption is back down (I allow a glass (or… more…) on Saturdays. Only. But I’m not giving up sugar (I don’t crave it much). I’m just eating healthy, watching portion size, and working out.