In With The New

by Jodifur on January 8, 2013

It is a little odd, having a new job.  Especially when you have had the same job for 12 years.  I knew how to do the old job with my hands behind my back and one eye closed.  I was really good at my old job.  But I was bored to tears.  I had learned everything there was to learn, and there was no where to go.  I was, in one word, done.

But I could have stayed forever.  And it was easy.  And stressful.

My new job.  I’m going to be honest with you.  I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing.  And that is hard.  Because I’m a perfectionist by nature.  And I stare at memos and laws and books and things I am supposed to be doing and I shrug my shoulders and wonder how many questions are too many questions to ask.  Because it is my 4th day and shouldn’t I know this by now?

I’m also a little hard on myself.

So yes, I’m riding the learning curve and trying to figure things out and realizing that even though I let go of easy, and walked into the hard, I am absolutely 100% sure I made the right decision.  Life isn’t always supposed to be easy.  And sometimes you have to take a chance, take a leap, to get to where you are supposed to go.

{sue} January 8, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Congrats! You will be great. And I think there’s at least a 2 week grace period on question volume. Ask away.

Cheney January 8, 2013 at 3:09 pm

That used to happen to me sometimes, too. I often went through the first few weeks or month of a job wondering when anyone might notice that I have no freaking clue what is going on. Hopefully that will pass soon for you, though!

Stimey January 8, 2013 at 3:59 pm

New jobs are so stressful. But you are smart and clever and will figure it out. I agree that you get a couple of weeks to ask anything you want before people are all, ” Why didn’t she ask this on her first day?”

Good luck and hang in there!

Corey Feldman January 8, 2013 at 5:17 pm

I have no doubt you will figure it out.

Jenna January 8, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I’m hard on myself too. Give yourself time. Allow yourself some mistakes — we learn from those!

Angela January 8, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Yay! The challenge is hard but fun, yes? My new job (well for just over a year) is like doing calculus all day, STILL! But I love it! Hope you are loving your job too.

susan January 9, 2013 at 8:52 am

I’m sure it will come soon enough, and this job will be seamless. Change is good :)

Justice Fergie January 9, 2013 at 12:19 pm

what!!? you didn’t tell me!! WOO HOOO!!! excited for you :-)

p.s.
you got this!

kari weber January 9, 2013 at 7:09 pm

It probably helps that you are super cute and nice… that always makes people want to help you more! Plus! Anyone that is unsure you can win to your side with your awesome shoes! But in all seriousness… I know that sometimes these issues are sticky with the “what I can say on a super public bloggy thing…” but can you share what you do (without the company specifics)? Or, how it differs from your previous job? I am curious as to what a East-Coast-lawyer-mom-type does. Since I seem to be firmly in the “teacher-mom” mindset, I don’t get out much…