I’m A Conundrum

by Jodifur on December 8, 2011

I’m a little bit of an old soul in some ways.  I miss the days of when people RSVPed to things.  I like when people send thank you notes, and always, always send them myself.  I believe in hostess gifts.  I don’t care for evite, and believe that if you expect me to bring a gift, I should get a proper invitation.  The first time I get an emailed wedding invitation I may die. I’m not going to make it through my son’s Bar Mitzvah years, I suppose, where I believe email and evites and OHMYG-D Facebook event invitations have become the norm.  (Do not get me started on Facebook events.  I think many people using Facebook events need to have EVENT defined for them.)

I love sending, and recieveing paper holiday cards.  I don’t really mind the ecard, but there is something about the paper holiday card that I still love.  I know, I’m a dinosaur.

I have a no niche memoir blog.  Who has one of those anymore?  I like Hipstamatic better than Instagram, but I never, ever use a real camera anymore.  I have a Flip, somewhere, buried on my desk.

I love social media except I don’t really care for Facebook, and came to it kicking and screaming.  Even so, I’m not really ON Facebook, posting blog posts, and Instagram pictures and random tweets.  I’d much rather be on twitter or pinterest or anywhere than Facebook.

I’m an early adopter.  I was on twitter before it was twitter.  I remember twitter before hashtags and twitter parties.  I remember twitter before twitter was TWITTER.  I was on twitter before every celebrity was on twitter.

I hate the phone.  I groan often and loudly when it rings.  I’d much rather send a text message or an email than talk on the phone.  There are few people left in the world I have phone conversations with. My husband, my mom, my sister, my two closest friends.  Pretty much no one else in the planet calls me unless it is work related.

I spend much of the day gchatting my husband.  Am I the only person left on the planet still using gchat? I have a skype account but I always, always forget to open it.  I frequently forget Google+ exists.

Are we all a little bit like this?  Picking things from days of yore we cling to (RSVPs, paper invitations) and letting other things go (can we please get rid of the phone, please?)

As a rule I hate all pictures of me.  And then Amie took this at Ice! on Sunday and I love it so much I kind of wish I had it for when we ordered our holiday cards.

FishyGirl December 8, 2011 at 8:52 am

GORGEOUS photo!
And did I ever tell you I still have a corded phone? That plugs into the wall? And a rotary phone, but we don’t use that one anymore except in emergencies. I’m terrible about both RSVPs AND thank you notes, though I don’t want to be.
You are blowing up that photo and putting it up in your house, right? Cause it needs to be.

{sue} December 8, 2011 at 9:09 am

Gorgeous!

sarah December 8, 2011 at 9:22 am

Awesome picture! Seriously great!!!

aimee @ smilingmama December 8, 2011 at 9:50 am

That is an AWESOME photo! Print and frame it today!

stephanie December 8, 2011 at 9:59 am

I was going to say that I love your new Twitter profile pic, and look… here it is! You should definitely print out and frame this one.
I guess I am a bit of a conundrum too… I love sending and receiving actual paper holiday cards; I firmly believe in RSVPing to events; I don’t have too much of a problem with evite, although I wish more people sent paper invitations (but then again, I understand why they don’t – it’s cheaper, faster, and easier to get a response via evite); I’ve been on Twitter forever, but still resist really using Facebook (I have an account that I used to join a specific group only, and that’s all I’ve used it for), and am afraid of getting sucked into Pinterest; I gchat my husband all day long (don’t tell work); and I hate, hate, HATE talking on the phone (my teenage self doesn’t even know me anymore). So, yup, I get it.

Molly December 8, 2011 at 10:15 am

What a fabulous picture! I loved this post: I loathe the phone anymore and am quite screen-happy but also adore thank you cards, invitations, and taking a nice bottle of wine to dinner. We straddle the new and the old, I guess :)

LL December 8, 2011 at 10:30 am

You just described me. I love paper cards and invitations, I always write thank you notes and expect the same from others. I hate the phone, love texting, and yet occasionally bemoan technology and the lack of personal interraction. I use gchat all day and have never used google+. I love hipstamatic. The only difference is that I love facebook (though NOT facebook “events”) and hate twitter. But other than that, it’s possible we’re the same person. It’s nice to know there’s another one of me out there ;)

Elena December 8, 2011 at 10:52 am

Love the photo!!!! And yes, I am not a lover of the phone, for talking. Used to use gchat, but have embraced Skype, and um google +, oops, yup…forgot. :)

Corey Feldman December 8, 2011 at 11:06 am

Download the Apple Card app from the apple store. You can send real word cards right from your iPhone that get delivered via postal mail. Youc an include whatever picture you like (as long as you have it saved on your phone). You even get a Push notification the day it will be delivered, though that seems to be a bit hit or miss for me.
I hate Evites too. Was just telling Melissa that when she was sending out Josh’s B-day Evites. I know for a kids B-day part they make sense, but I’m not a fan.

Lindsay December 8, 2011 at 11:26 am

Super cute photo, your hair color is so pretty! :) Adorable family you got there.

Issa December 8, 2011 at 11:49 am

Yes to almost all of this. Truly.
I adore that photo by the way.

magpie December 8, 2011 at 12:17 pm

it’s a charming picture. i like the crop you used on twitter, and i like the whole pretty family.
i’m mixed on evites – i like them for some things, but i draw the line at kid’s birthday parties. i think it’s important for kids to get real mail in the mailbox.

But I Do Have a Law Degree December 8, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Love the picture – you’re right, a perfect holiday card photo!

Anita December 8, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Love the picture.
I too love the the days of yore, although I suck sometimes when it comes to Thank you notes.
Another thing the peeves me is people not showing up on time. IE – My MIL’s birthday dinner was set for 5 PM…most people made it by 5:30(acceptable, but not really okay either) except my one SIL and BIL who arrived @ 6:30 and my husband wouldn’t eat without them for fear of hurting their feelings.
I think they’re getting a Miss Manners book for Christmas this year!!!

Mel December 8, 2011 at 10:25 pm

That is a fantastic photo.
I am so with you on the phone thing. I just can’t do it most of the time. There are only a handful of people I talk to on the phone.
And I like paper invitations because I put them on the board and then actually remember them!

Janet December 9, 2011 at 4:20 pm

That is a great picture!
Happy Holidays

sweetney December 10, 2011 at 12:31 pm

That photo is adorable. (Also? HI! MISS YOU! xo)

Elaine December 12, 2011 at 4:52 pm

That’s a fantastic photo!

Angela December 14, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Great photo! Maybe for New Year’s cards ;)
I know what you mean though. Things come and go. I did a project during gradschool where I dug up all my old ‘virtual footprints’ and linked to all the places you could find me on the web. At the time even some of my old first webpages were there.
Things just keep changing though. A year ago I was on fb every day, even 4 months ago actually. Now I am on barely once a week, usually just to check for messages or because my husband messaged me to tell me about something on there.
I haven’t gone on twitter at all lately. I realize I usually was on while on work, kind of as a background thing in the browser via Echofon. But now my work is much too involved and busy.
I am trying very hard to commit to carving out more time for blogging because that too has died off, and I can’t bear to let that go. (And hey, I miss reading your posts, so I’m getting back to that too!)
I guess really nothing is constant except change. Even in social media.