In Which Doug Was Right

by Jodifur on October 3, 2011

I took up running a year and a half ago, and it has been a love and hate relationship.  I go through times when I like to run a lot, and I go through times when I dread it with ever fiber of my being.  But lately I’ve being running again, fairly regularly, and I find myself enjoying it, and dreading this rainy weather when I can’t run.

I remember when I first started running and I told Doug I was doing couch 2 5k.  I said “I’m not going to do an actual 5 k.  It’s just an app.”  And he looked at me and said “you are going to run a 5k.  I know you.”  And I said, “no, I’m not.”

I watched my friends, who started running afer I did, run 5ks.  And I was proud of them.  And I little envious.  My friend Jennifer invited a bunch of bloggers to a run a charity race, for the Red Cross.  It is hard to for me to say no to charity.

When I told Doug he said “I’m just surprised it took you this long.”  Gloat much?

My first race is the red run.  I don’t have a time goal.  I’m just hoping I can the run the whole thing and I don’t fall on my face.  I don’t want to look like an idiot. I’m so commited to this I went for a run in the freezing cold rain yesterday, cursing the fact that we don’t own a treadmill.

Anybody want to do it with me?

**My registration fee was waived in exchange for this post.

Corey Feldman October 3, 2011 at 9:43 am

I just ran in my first 5K race since high school. It was at Bullis. I did much better that I thought, actually running with other people.
We have a treadmill if you ever want to come over and run. Personally I am hoping I can run outside most of the winter. I just bought some cold(er) running gear.

The Tutugirl October 3, 2011 at 10:33 am

Go Jodi! I just got through my first 5k where I ran the whole time and it felt amazing. Good luck with your training!

magpie October 3, 2011 at 11:00 am

Good for you!
Just last night, I was thinking about doing C25K. Maybe I’ll start tomorrow.

Roberta October 3, 2011 at 11:24 am

Awesome! You will absolutely do it, and it will feel great.

marathonmom October 3, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Good stuff and a $15 entry fee? Yessss!
I have been running a long time and yes I have finished a few marathons but the best part about my running is seeing friends pick it up and get addicted too.
The other best thing, is that there are way cuter running outfits now than when I started. Let is not discount that.
You go girl! have fun!

kdiddy October 3, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Congratulations! Very excited for you. I just ran what I consider to be my first “real” 5k (the first one that I went to was mostly walkers so it was hard to actually run) last weekend and it was an awesome experience. Finishing feels so awesome and not just because you get to stop running at that point. ;-) Have fun!

Elena October 3, 2011 at 4:57 pm

So excited for you!! I suppose there are worse things for Doug to have been right about! Xo

Maureen | Tatter Scoops October 4, 2011 at 3:10 am

Bravo to you! I’m not a runner but always admire people who does :D

Kindred Adventures October 4, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I am so excited for you. I just did a 5k on Sunday. Not my first but special just the same. You will not be disappointed. It gives you purpose in your training and then motivation to run more and do it again when you finish! You will do awesome!! Good luck! -Laverne visiting from Just.Be.Enough Link Up

Kindred Adventures October 4, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Virginia October 5, 2011 at 8:39 pm

RUN FOR IT!
Combining two great things in your life, running and charity, is a great way to go. :) Best of luck to you, and I hope you get your running buddy.
(I came here from the Just Be Enough linkup.)

Hope October 8, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I’m weird, I like running outside in inclement weather. :p The only time I give up and use a treadmill is when there’s too much snow to get any traction. But I think that’s my own personal brand of crazy.

{ 2 trackbacks }