In Which I Might Have Lost My Mind

by Jodifur on September 26, 2011

Late Thursday afternoon I got a cryptic email from Michael's teacher that said something to the affect of, "I'd like to set up a conference with you to discuss how to make sure Michael has a successful year this year." And I lost my shit.  Seriously. Up until this point all reports were good.  He has a behavior notebook this year, like all first graders, and he may have had one or two minor incidents, but NOTHING like last year.  I had not heard from his teacher until this email.

I forwarded it to my sister, and Elena, and his reading tutor. WHAT COULD THIS MEAN?  "Things are bad aren't they? They are really, really bad, and no one is talking to me and WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?"

I by all accounts had a full fledged break down.  And I emailed the teacher back and was like, "I would be happy to meet with you, but I would like to know what we are discussing."

I didn't sleep at all Thursday night.  I was formulating PLANS.  How could we afford private school?  We cannot afford private school, that is not even a possibility.  But I cannot go through another year like last year.

Friday morning his teacher emailed me back to tell me that she wanted to discuss ways to improve Michael's reading.  And if I couldn't meet, she would be happy to do a telephone conference because she herself knows how hard it is to be a working mom.

And than it hit me.  I have school PTSD.  It's like I always expect everything out of school to be bad.  To be the worst possible scenario in the world.  She wants to helo Michael with reading, I WANT TO HELP MICHAEL WITH READING.  Look at that.

And so we met.  And people were not kidding when they told me she is a "gift from heaven."  She is kind, and loving, and smart, and invested in Michael.  And she gets him.  And doesn't care what happened last year.  "I'm not seeing any of that," she told me.  "He is going to get where we need him to be.  You have to let last year go."

I'm going to take her advice.  I'm going to trust her.  I'm going to trust Michael. I'm going to trust that sometimes, even if it doesn't seem to be happening to me lately, sometimes things work out.

Angel September 26, 2011 at 9:33 am

This teacher sure sounds like quite a gem. I’m glad she’s willing to put in the work to help Michael. I’m also glad it was nothing major and the meeting went well. Her advice is sound. :)

Corey Feldman September 26, 2011 at 9:42 am

A good teacher can make all the difference in the world. Glad he is having a better year.

Corey Feldman September 26, 2011 at 9:42 am

Headless Mom September 26, 2011 at 10:12 am

Yay! I love her too…all the way from here!
One thing off your worry list. Take that gift and run with it, sister.

Headless Mom September 26, 2011 at 10:12 am

Yay! I love her too…all the way from here!
One thing off your worry list. Take that gift and run with it, sister.

Safire September 26, 2011 at 11:15 am

I’m so happy that this teacher is wonderful! This year is going to rock for him. :)

Roberta September 26, 2011 at 1:01 pm

YAY! for great teachers. Your anxiety and your relief are both so palpable. GO MICHAEL!

Lisse September 26, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Oh, I have so been there – expecting the worst based on previous experience. And then ending up in tears because it’s GOOD news.
Hopefully, you’ll have a year like we did last year. I was worried at the beginning, but it turned out to be P’s biggest growth year to date.

Issa September 26, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I love this post. Love it. I am so happy for you both. This year will set him on the right path for school. YAY for amazing teachers.

annettek September 26, 2011 at 4:03 pm

She sounds like a fabulous teacher! Fingers crossed that Michael has a wonderful year with her, and that she sets him up to succeed after as well.

Elena September 26, 2011 at 10:35 pm

I am so very glad that this worked out and that you have such a caring teacher. Truly.

Jaelithe September 26, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I have school PTSD from one bad year too (and unfortunately, so does my kid). Glad to hear this teacher is treating your kid with compassion and care.

Elaine September 27, 2011 at 9:15 am

Wow! Thank goodness for teachers like this. My son has one, too. She is so incredibly kind and knows that my son’s background is different than the other kids and she is totally taking it in stride, seeing his great side, rather than obsessing about some skill deficits which she fully realizes is her job to help him overcome. Amen!

Elaine September 27, 2011 at 9:15 am

Jo @ Jo In the Kitchen September 28, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I experienced the exact same thing with my son this year, and he’s also in first grade!! Thanks for letting me know I’m not alone in my school PTSD

{ 4 trackbacks }