I Have Some News

by Jodifur on April 12, 2010

Head on over to MamaPop ASAP to register for the party of the year.  Sparklecorn 2010 is going to rock your socks off people.  I do not lie.  Trust me on this one…….

AND

After all my endless, annoying, OHMYG-D WON'T YOU PLEASE SHUT UP ALREADY, whining-

I'm going I'm going!

I know, right?  Aren't you going to miss the boo ho, I'm not going to BlogHer whining.  I know I am.  I'm sure Doug is too.  I guess this means he doesn't have to buy me anything

So, um BlogHer.  I only have 3 and 1/2 months to stress about it now.  What am I going to wear?  And shoes, I need shoes.  And hair, I need to get my hair cut.  (That crisis is being discussed today at DC Metro Moms.) I'm not sure I have time to do all this.  Last year I had 6 months to stress about it.  3 is not nearly enough.  Parties, there are parties right?  And sessions?  Maybe I should look at the agenda…

I'M GOING TO BLOGHER

Huge, huge, shout out goes to my amazing sister who is making this happen by taking care of Michael for three days.  I owe you, big time!!!

I can't somehow shake the feeling that it is the "wrong thing" to do to go.  That it is the "bad mom" thing to do.  (And I normally do not buy into this stuff.)  That being a mom means I should stay home.  But my son is going to spend the weekend with an Aunt he loves, and a cousin he thinks hung the moon.  It's not like I am leaving him alone with a bowl a cereal and the dog.  But why do I feel so guilty?  Because if I was leaving him with Doug I wouldn't feel guilty for a minute.  Because BlogHer isn't necessary?  It is frivolous?  And "mommyblogging?"  And not important and not my real job…..and my internet friends aren't really my friends.

Whatever, I'm going.  I'm so glad I get to say this.  See you in New York.

heather April 12, 2010 at 9:41 am

Kudos to your sis!! The best I can manage is maybe coming up Thursday to stalk people before our vacation. SO SO glad you get to go!! Sisters rock!

Selfish Mom April 12, 2010 at 9:41 am

Get. Over. It. The only thing worse than leaving him for the weekend would be leaving him for the weekend and then stressing about it so much and feeling so guilty that you don’t enjoy your time away. You’ve made the decision, so own it.
See you in August!

Miss Britt April 12, 2010 at 9:54 am

It’s AWESOME that you get to go!!
And? Your kid is going to have a blast. Do you remember how much fun it was to spend time with people who were NOT YOUR PARENTS when you were a kid? A blast. An absolute blast.
You should do the same.
And I WILL SEE YOU IN NEW YORK! AT SPARKLECORN!

Miss Britt April 12, 2010 at 9:55 am

Also -
you thought the iPad obsession was dorky? Think about how dorky it is that we are all over the moon about something called “Sparklecorn”. Seriously. I think I’m giving it a code name for discussions with my husband. lol

the new girl April 12, 2010 at 9:58 am

YAY!
I am not usually the Mommy-Guilt type either but I get it. I, too, think of it as more social/fun vs. business of my real job so it somehow feels selfish or something.
BAH.
I can’t wait to give you a squeeze!

Headless Mom April 12, 2010 at 10:05 am

Found this because of Britt’s tweet…I thought, “She’s not going to BlogHer.” Oh how wrong I was! Yay!
The guilt thing and panic thing? Let.It.Go. Mom’s deserve a couple of days a year to get away. I’s not like you’re leaving for a month, right?

Corey Feldman April 12, 2010 at 10:32 am

When your a parent you children are your most important responsibility. It’s normal to feel guilty when you are going to be away from them.
I feel guilty every time I travel for work, even if I am traveling during the week when I barely see the wife and kids anyway.
I’m going rafting and camping, 1 maybe two nights, in West Virginia over Memorial Day weekend for my best friend’s birthday. Melissa is totally OK with me going. OK well she is worried about the rafting part, even though my daily commute is more dangerous. But she is OK with the trip. Yet I have thought about backing out a couple times because I feel guilty.

Mama Bub April 12, 2010 at 10:35 am

It’s AWESOME that you get to go. Leaving him with someone that he loves and who loves him is great for him. My husband threw his back out this weekend, but we already had my parents lined up to babysit so I took the kid over there anyway and enjoyed a relaxing evening at home. I had to drag him out of there the next morning.

Jen Wilson April 12, 2010 at 10:36 am

I’m not going :( I wish I was!!! I just sold my ticket due to some family issues.
I’m looking forward to hearing all about it though!

Miss Grace April 12, 2010 at 11:23 am

Oh but I’m so HAPPY!!

Janine (@twincident) April 12, 2010 at 11:28 am

Whooooo Hoooooo! Will you be on the party bus too???

Cara (thinkc) April 12, 2010 at 12:19 pm

That’s great!!! I won’t be at the actual conferece, but maybe I could sneak in for Sparkelcorn 2010? If not, I at least need to show off my awesome new city to some of the wonderful BlogHer peeps!

Out-Numbered April 12, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Nice! See you there buddy…

Whymommy April 12, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Hooray! Going up on the bus with us?

Leticia- Tech Savvy Mama April 12, 2010 at 8:38 pm

I’m so excited you can come! And thanks for the reminder about Sparklecorn! I just registered! See you there!

Heather April 12, 2010 at 10:04 pm

We are very excited to have Michael while you are at the conference. Mitch is already planning the activities. Michael is going to have a blast and he and Mitch will have some quality bonding time. You shouldn’t stress at all. Take it off your worry list! It is going to be awesome.

Heather April 12, 2010 at 10:06 pm

oh by the way I forgot to ask in my previous post. Sparklecorn?

Andrea from Big Blue Momma April 12, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Michael will have a blast, I promise! I have had to send my kids to the grandparents because of traveling for work. They always have a great time and don’t want me to come back.
Congrats on getting to go to BlogHer! I know you’ll have a great time.

Colleen April 12, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Yeah!!!!!!!!
I’m adding you to my list of people I absolutely will meet at BlogHer. Although once I’m there I may be too nervous to even say one word to one person… except there will be alcohol… and unicorns… so I’m also sure I’ll get over nerves.

Safire April 13, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Wahoo! I’ll be there too…although not at Sparklecorn. :)

amy m April 13, 2010 at 10:32 pm

you know I’m SO happy about this, my friend!
yah-hoooooooooo!