It’s All Settled

by Jodifur on August 15, 2009

Ha.  I'm Funny.

On Thursday, after the movers were done and the cleaning service did a move out clean, I walked through the house
when it was empty and spotless , and I felt nothing.  Which is an odd thing to feel about a place you had lived for 8 years.  Not sadness, not relief.  Nothing.  I was
just really nervous that for some reason the movers were going to be moving all my stuff back into that house.  I never really believed this was going to happen.  Even as I sit here, on the floor of the office in my parents house, because their wireless internet access only works if you are in the same room with the router therefore negating the point of wireless, with the keys to the new house in my purse, I still don't believe it is true.

But, it's done, it's over.  We have sold our house and bought a house we will not live in for 30 days.  With all the dama, the settlements were relatively drama free.  The couple that bought our house was this lovely young couple with a baby and were so excited to be buying their first house.  At the end of the settlement we clapped for them.

The house we bought, well, that was a little less happy.  The couple that was selling that house is going through a rather contentious divorce and there was no clapping at the end.  I was honestly just glad to get out of that room.  It felt a little bit like my everyday at work.

But we have keys.  And in 30 days it is ours.

And g-ddamn Verizon can still not figure out how to turn off my phone.  I have called them 4 times.  How hard is this?  What are the chances of them showing up to install the internet at the new house?

Dear internet, I could not have survived this roller coaster ride without you.  Your love and support during this past FOUR MONTHS OF HELL has been amazing.

And now I'm going to abandon you and go on vacation.

pgoodness August 15, 2009 at 8:24 am

Have a great vacation….and congrats on getting out of the house and into the new one SOON!

Beth Fish August 15, 2009 at 9:18 am

Hooray! Congrats on selling and buying! Hope the vacation flies by and you enjoy being a slacker living in mom and dad’s basement.

cagey August 15, 2009 at 10:14 am

Have fun on vacation – good grief, you need one after all of that hot house mess. :-)

Angela August 15, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Awesome! Congratulations on both closings. What a way to end the week!
Enjoy your vacation and the little respite before the real unpacking begins.

kris August 15, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Hot damn, J. Good on you! May you bask in some sun and appropriately kick the phone company’s ass.

Andrea August 15, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Congrats on selling and buying! Enjoy yourself on vacation knowing that you’ll be in your new house very soon.

Musings from Me August 15, 2009 at 5:35 pm

So relieved that you are finally moved. I moved 15 years years ago to our then newly built house. Not. Moving. Again.
I am surprised our friends are still speaking to us as they helped us move. Didn’t hire movers. Even moved a piano. We helped our friends move so I guess we are even.
Enjoy your vacation.

ioio August 15, 2009 at 6:44 pm

make SURE you get a sage smudge stick and burn & smudge all that bad unhappy divorce energy in the entire house & outside all doors the first thing when you move in. i know it sounds all new age-y, but it seriously will cleanse the air for your happy family’s move in.

cindy w August 15, 2009 at 6:50 pm

The house we’re buying is also because of a divorce. Very sad. I’m planning to burn some sage the day we move in to get rid of all the bad marriage juju (and I don’t even believe in that stuff). I figure if nothing else it’ll make the house smell all fresh & herb-y.
Hope you’re able to enjoy your vacation. 30 days is really not that long, you’ll be in that house before you know it.

Andrea August 15, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Congrats on the closings, relax on your vacation, and those 30 days will pass before you know it!

Stimey August 15, 2009 at 10:17 pm

Congratulations! And have a great vacation!

Tutugirl August 16, 2009 at 11:02 am

Congratulations! Given your feelings towards your house, I think its probably a great decision that you’re moving. And in 30 days you get a brand smacking new house that you love! Have fun on vacation- you definitely earned it.

tuesday August 16, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Moving with kids is no fun at all. I swear I don’t like it here in NH but I never want to move again!

emma August 16, 2009 at 9:24 pm

Have a great vacation! You CLEARLY deserve it.
Look forward to hearing all the stories when you get back.

FishyGirl August 17, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Have a great vacation – you’ve EARNED it. Glad everything is settled. Those 30 days will fly by.