I Totally Cried At “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown” And You Will Not Judge Me

by Jodifur on July 12, 2009

It has become a tradition around these parts to attend the musicals put on by Adventure Theater.  Michael loves them, and this time we went with my nephew and sister and brother in law.  "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" has always been a favorite of mine and I had shown Michael some videos from You Tube, so he was very excited.  Especially for "Suppertime."

Keep in mind that I was sick as a dog, and I haven't slept since May, but Doug and I both welled up during the finale scene "Happiness."  Now, this is nothing new for Doug.  He cries at everything.  At I mean everything.  I, cry at nothing.

But, it was this line that got us both,

HAPPINESS IS COMING HOME AGAIN.

HAPPINESS IS MORNING AND EVENING,
DAY TIME AND NIGHT TIME TOO.
FOR HAPPINESS IS ANYONE AND ANYTHING AT ALL
THAT'S LOVED BY YOU.

Internet, I haven't actually been completely honest with you.  And it is time I came clean.

I got a contract on my house.  Almost two weeks ago.  And I didn't tell anyone.  Because I have been sitting on pins and needles waiting for it to fall apart.  And it is not falling apart.  Things are moving along swimmingly.  Which is fantastic.

Except for one, tiny, small, problem.  The buyers insisted upon a 30 day turn around.  And we have no place to live.  So I am selling my house to be homeless.  And unlike last time, when I fell in love with something and got it, that's not so much happening this time.  So I'm packing my house to move in with my parents.  And I love my parents, but that is not what was supposed to happen.  I was supposed to find my dream house.

So the universe will give me what I want, but not really.

Couple that with this was the week we were supposed to move into THAT HOUSE, and we were supposed to be done, and BlogHer is 10 days away and I am far from prepared, and we move out in less that 30 days, and yeah, we are emotional wrecks.

Less than 30 days.  I haven't called a moving company.  Or a utility.  Because I keep waiting and hoping to be able to tell them WHERE WE ARE GOING.  But it is time to face the music.  Things are going to storage.  We are going to my parents.

But I will say this.  Through it all, Doug and I have not fought.  Not once.  I would never claim we have the perfect marriage, far from it.  But somehow there has just been nothing to fight about it.  This might be hell, but we are in it together.

Happiness is being loved by you.  Home is wherever you are.

I'm sorry internet for lying to you.  All those times I twittered how stressed I was, and my twitter temper tantrum Friday night (which was epic if you missed it, there was CAPS LOCK AND FEET STAMPING INVOLVED) which was not about selling this house as I let everyone assume, but about an offer we put on another house where the sellers where being wholly unreasonable.  I'm trying to give someone a lot of money, why won't you let me?  Have you heard the term buyers market?

So judge me not, dear internet.  You would totally cry at a kids musical too.  In fact, I dare you not to cry, right now!

(This post is in no way sponsored by Adventure Theater.  I paid for all 6 tickets myself.  Can someone please sponsor me?  Please?)

Scary Mommy July 12, 2009 at 8:28 pm

I would totally cry at that too, and I’m SOOOOOO thrilled for you!! Selling a house in this market is too damn stressful.

pgoodness July 12, 2009 at 9:14 pm

SO glad you sold your house!! Keeping fingers crossed that your stay at your parent’ house is short and sweet!!

Laura July 12, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Yay for selling your house! And yay for You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown-one of my very very favorites.
All that money you are saving living with your parents=new shoes for you! New shoes make everything better.

Stacy July 12, 2009 at 9:48 pm

OMG! Cannot believe you didn’t tell me and that you kept mum. That’s great that it sold — sorry about moving in with the rents but I suppose it’s good that you have that option. You’ll find something soon and then you can INSIST ON A 30 Day turnaround!

Beth Fish July 12, 2009 at 9:56 pm

Hooray!!! You will find the perfect house soon enough, and meanwhile you can vacation at my house whenever you want.

Angela July 12, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Awesome! I had a feeling that you weren’t going to tell us more till it was a definite done deal. Here’s hoping you’ll find the most perfect house, and I’m so glad you have a place to stay so you can take a little time to find the perfect place.

MarathonMom July 12, 2009 at 10:20 pm

That was probly best…understandable. I hate it when we get .10 of what we want. It will work out for U guys promise!
I do not however, like Charlie Brown. Nerrrrr.
hugs!

mom July 12, 2009 at 10:52 pm

You know you, Doug, and Michael can stay with us as long as you need to. I know you will find the perfect house for your family. Everything will turn out perfect. Love, Mom

The Tutugirl July 13, 2009 at 12:45 am

Congratulations!
My family had something similar happen, and ended up living for several months in an apartment. You will survive, and find something that you’re completely in love with.

Angela July 13, 2009 at 7:58 am

Yippee! You’re less likely to pressure buy now. Take your time, and maybe a little bit of in-home child care. FInd something that calls your name. And for heaven’s sake, stock up on a little bit of ice cream!

Karen MEG July 13, 2009 at 8:15 am

Well it’s a great thing that you sold your house!
Having done the “move in with your parents after you sold your house, put everything in storage before you got a new one” thing as well, only add “while pregnant”; it is totally survivable, and you may even have some memorable times. Our house didn’t close until my son was 4 months old, and I have great memories of my Dad chatting with my little guy first thing in the AM, that I treasure to this day.
It’s not such a bad thing… this way you will be able to see clearly and hopefully find something absolutely right for you and your family. I know we finally did.

Jill July 13, 2009 at 10:22 am

reading this post is making me cry! (I’m blaming it on the pregnancy hormones.) So happy you sold your house! Don’t worry, staying with your parents won’t be permanent, and I’m sure there’s something out there that is just waiting for you!

DemMom July 13, 2009 at 10:29 am

Congratulations on selling your house. And now you can take your time finding the RIGHT house! And by the way, I don’t twitter, but yes, adults do get pink eye. Go figure! I’ve had it twice this year (never had it before in my life). My 2 kids in daycare didn’t get it, just me. The dr. said it’s just EVERYWHERE.

pseudostoops July 13, 2009 at 10:45 am

It’s so hard when you get something good, but not as great as the thing that slipped through your fingers- almost like you feel guilty for not being 100% happy with your good, even though what you really wanted was the great.
Congratulations on selling the house, though. That’s the harder part! And you get to come to Chicago and have fun in two weeks! That’s good, too!

Grandmere July 13, 2009 at 10:59 am

Happiness for me is where ever my family is… and I am happy for you that things finally seem to be beginning to work out. You and Doug and Michael will find that new home, I am sure of it. Meanwhile the stress has played havoc with your health and you need to take care of you!

Maria @BOREDmommy July 13, 2009 at 12:16 pm

YAY!! You sold your house! That is fantastic news. BOO. You have to move into your parents house. Kind of a bummer, but its only a small bump in the road. You have to try to forget about the dream house though, or you will never find another one!! Best of Luck.

Maria @BOREDmommy July 13, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Maria @BOREDmommy July 13, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Maria @BOREDmommy July 13, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Stimey July 13, 2009 at 12:18 pm

Congratulations on selling your house! You will find the house. You will. You’re being totally smart by being choosy about your new place. And, fun! You get to house shop! I love looking at houses. You may not. But great that you have a place to stay.

Lauren July 13, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Congratulations on the sale of your home! I will certainly be thinking of you and hoping everything continues to go smoothly for THIS contract, and that you will, in fact, have a successful closing.
And trust me, there are worse things about living at your parents. Just think of it as a stepping stone and keep thinking of that beautiful house you will certainly find in the interim. Happy House Hunting!

Maura July 13, 2009 at 4:18 pm

YAY YAY YAY!!!!!!!!!!!
Relax and find the house you are meant to live in.

Mrs. Wilson July 13, 2009 at 10:44 pm

I’m so sorry that it’s such a hassle. And that you have to move in with your parents, no matter how short-term it is.
But YAY on selling your house!!! (And I totally don’t call that lying. It’s like calling a tangering an orange. Same difference.)

Danielle-lee July 16, 2009 at 5:34 pm

Awwwww. I’m so sorry this has been so stressful! I believe the right house will surface…..*hugs to you*

Bailey July 19, 2009 at 5:56 pm

Congratulations on the sale of your house! You’ll find a new home that you love, even if you have to live with your parents for a bit. I bet it’ll be good motivation when you feel like you can’t look at one more house.

Cristie July 29, 2009 at 3:54 pm

I’m new here, but I feel like fate brought me.:) We moved from MD to NJ in March. In fact this is the reason I started the blog-release of emotion that was threatening to eat me from the inside because I refused to be rattled on the outside. After all, there was nothing “real” to complain about our house woes are similar (though I lived with my in-laws) and I’ve now just read some things about your 4 year old boy that I’m pretty sure I could have written myself.
Moving sucks. Transitioning kids sucks. But I’m a few months further ahead and I can promise it does get better. Oh-and I cry at this song ALL THE TIME. My kids have the CD and they can’t figure out why Charlie Brown makes mommmy cry.
Good luck!
I can’t wait to read the rest of the adventure. Consider yourself NOT JUDGED.